Sunday 3 January 2016

Mum Has CyberKnife Treatment Bowel Cancer Metastasis


This photo is one of my favourite photos from the Christmas & New Year holidays. My brother Noel has his birthday on January 1st, so we had a get together at The Cricketers pub at Littlewick Green near Maidenhead. My niece Anna (2nd right) was in her element entertaining everyone throughout the evening. I managed to capture a photo of Anna taking a family selfie with, from left to right, Mum, my cousin Sarah, Anna, and my sister Ali. They were completely unaware of me doing this and it's a lovely photo of happy, smiling faces.

Mum is suffering from secondary cancer, otherwise known as cancer metastasis. This is where the cancer spreads to other parts of the body from the primary site. In Mum's case the cancer has spread from the bowel to her lungs, and unfortunately in the last few weeks it has now spread further. She was due to have an operation on her left lung before Christmas to remove a cancerous nodule, but this was put back while she underwent CyberKnife treatment at Mount Vernon Hospital. She had this treatment over three consecutive days this week, and if everything goes to plan attention will then turn back onto the lung. She has a follow up appointment next week. Mum has now been living with bowel cancer for over three and a half years and this latest development is right up there as being one of the toughest she has faced. Her positive approach and determination is amazing and she is a true inspiration...

It brings home to me why I spent 18 months putting the Lives & Times book together. Aside from the fundraising, if the book can help raise awareness and help prevent just one person from going through what Mum and too many others like her have had to go through, then it will have more than done its job. I have just donated £100.55 to Beating Bowel Cancer from the latest book royalties, which brings the total amount raised so far to £729.47. I am truly thankful to everyone who has bought the book so far. 

To see all the ways you can order the book click here.



No comments:

Post a Comment