Thursday 10 August 2017

Norma de Bidaph from Gearlink Kawasaki features in the Lives & Times bowel cancer charity book


I can't believe that it was 3 years ago now that I met Norma de Bidaph, who runs the Gearlink Kawasaki motorbike team with her husband Michael. Norma is in remission from bowel cancer, and is a keen fundraiser for bowel cancer charities. She has also been especially supportive of my fundraising efforts. She sent me this brilliant photo of her with the charity book.

The chapter on Norma in Lives & Times, which was published in 2015, moves away from the celebrity angle of some of the chapters, and shows how the book contains chapters on the everyday person as well. She invited me to the Thruxton Circuit to a round of the British Superbikes Championship. In the chapter I describe our meeting, Norma's battle with bowel cancer, and the whole experience including my efforts to photograph the motorbikes that were flying past at speeds in excess of 200mph.

Like many, who have battled with cancer, Norma doesn't consider herself brave, but just having to face the illness head on. I found her truly inspirational, and the affection she is held in by everyone associated with the sport was shown time and time again during the day. She is absolutely lovely, and looked after me very well in spite of being on the go non-stop all day. I am looking forward to returning to a race meeting and seeing Norma again sometime soon.

It is now almost a year since my Mum passed away after fighting bowel cancer for over four years. I am currently doing a new book dedicated to her memory, which will once again donate its proceeds to Beating Bowel Cancer. As well as fundraising, the books also aim to help raise awareness about bowel cancer. It is the second highest cancer killer, and yet if detected early can be successfully treated in over 90% of cases.

To see how you can buy a copy of Lives & Times click here. ALL proceeds raised are donated to the Beating Bowel Cancer charity. The book has raised over £3250 so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment