Tuesday 18 October 2016

Lives & Times Meets The Wonder Stuff


Back in March 2015 I went to meet and photograph Miles & Erica from The Wonder Stuff at their acoustic gig at The Railway Inn in Winchester. They were really lovely, and I got to spend a few minutes with them shortly before they went on stage. Through the wonders of Twitter, Miles had quickly responded to my book request with an enthusiastic yes, and with the help of their manager Tom it was arranged for me to go to the Winchester gig to do the photo. I got some terrific photos, a couple of which I have used in the book. Those will not be revealed here, so all I can show you here is one of the other photos I took from the gig not included in the book. You will have to buy the book and see for yourself of course :) I am now the proud owner of one of Erica's prints from her other job as an artist, and of Miles' book The Wonder Stuff Diaries '86-'89.

As soon as I met them they made me feel at ease straightaway. I got a taster of Miles' wonderful ability to tell anecdotes, which he continued to do throughout their set. The performance was amazing, and it was brilliant seeing some of the older Wonder Stuff material performed in this stripped back fashion. Like so many people who so very kindly gave up their time to be photographed for the book, Miles & Erica were great sports and posed with the Beating Bowel Cancer tie for the Facebook group that I am part of which is helping to raise awareness about bowel cancer. Have a look at the page here.


In 2016 The Wonder Stuff released a brilliant album, 30 Goes Around The Sun, which is still getting a pretty heavy hammering on my iPod. I haven't managed to get a copy of the book to them yet, but there's one waiting for them for sure.

Sadly my mother, the inspiration for doing the book, passed away last August following her long and courageous four and a half year battle with bowel cancer. She made her 80th birthday on August 22nd and peacefully passed away a week later. If anything the whole point of doing the book has been even more reinforced by this heartbreaking turn of events. Please support this fundraising book as every sale counts both in raising money and raising awareness about bowel cancer.

To see how you can purchase the Lives & Times charity book, which features a chapter on Miles Hunt & Erica Nockalls click here. All the proceeds I raise are donated to the Beating Bowel Cancer charity with over £3100 raised so far.


No comments:

Post a Comment