Tuesday 4 April 2017

Meeting Tim Wheeler from Ash at Rough Trade East Record Store

Tim Wheeler from Ash wearing the bowel cancer tie at Rough Trade East

I met Tim Wheeler, lead singer of the band Ash, at the Rough Trade East Record Store on November 11th 2014. I was on a mission that day, with Tim being the 4th photo I did for the Lives & Times fundraising book. I walked to the shop from The Tower of London, where I'd been to see the poppy display which was pretty amazing. 

Tim was in the UK promoting his solo album, Lost Domain, a wonderful collection of songs he'd written in memory of his Dad who had sadly passed away from Dementia in 2011. He was really warm and interesting to talk and we sat down and chatted in the shop for half an hour or so. 

This was an interesting period in the writing of the book. When I met Tim my Mum had been in remission for 18 months and everything was so so positive. The following week we found out that the cancer had returned in the form of secondary cancer on her left lung. From then on the cancer never really let go, and Mum battled bravely on for the next two and a half years before passing away in August 2016. 

Since Lives & Times was published in November 2015, it has raised over £3250 for the Beating Bowel Cancer charity. I would highly recommend Tim's Lost Domain album, which is one of the most inspirational pieces of work I have heard in recent years.. It is my ambition to get my guitar out at some point and write some new songs, 

Bowel cancer is the second highest cancer killer in the UK claiming 16,000 lives each year. If detected early it can be treated in over 90% of cases. Much more needs to be done in raising awareness about this awful illness and start bringing those numbers down.

No comments:

Post a Comment