Thursday 9 February 2017

Lives & Times Meets The Stranglers at SUB 89 in Reading


Tuesday July 8th, 2014 was the day I got to photograph the legendary Stranglers for the Lives & Times fundraising book in support of the Beating Bowel Cancer charity. They were playing a low key festival warm up show at SUB 89 in Reading. Even on the day it was by no means a foregone conclusion that it would happen. In the end I was only given a couple of hours notice and invited to go along to the sound-check. This meant I raced home from work, got on my bike and cycled into Reading just in time to meet the band at the venue. It was fascinating seeing the guys sound-check and I was given a free reign to wander around during the couple of songs that they played and snap away. I remember thinking that it sounded spot on to me and when I returned as a fan later in the evening to watch the gig the sound indeed was excellent, and it was a cracking show. The whole experience is documented alongside photos in Lives & Times.

Back in March 2016 I got to see The Stranglers play at the Hexagon in Reading on their "Black and White" tour when they were supported by The Alarm who also feature in the book. It was a fantastic night watching two of my favourite bands... There was no special treatment for me this time though as I returned to my normal gig going status.

Please support Lives & Times and help me raise as much money as possible. All proceeds raised are donated to Beating Bowel Cancer. Bowel cancer remains the second biggest cancer killer in the UK, but if detected early has a survival rate of over 90%. My Mum was diagnosed in 2012 and after many battles she passed away August 29th, 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment