Sunday 3 July 2016

Katherine Grainger in the Lives & Times Bowel Cancer Book


Four-time Olympic medalist, including gold at London 2012, Katherine Grainger has been a big supporter of the book. I recently sent a copy of Lives & Times to Katherine, and she sent me me this great photo of herself in GB attire holding the book. Fortunately she was also very complimentary about it. When I first contacted Katherine about 2 years ago she was in the process of deciding whether or not to return to rowing and aim for Rio 2016. She was honest enough to say at that time she wouldn't be able to be in the book. As things transpired my own publication ended up being a year later that I originally planned due to the success of getting people to be in the book. So I contacted Katherine once again and with the time factor not being so critical she happily agreed to be in the book.


We are arranged to do the photo for the book during Henley Royal Regatta this time last year, but things didn't quite go to plan. Going into the final day on the Sunday I still hadn't been given any arrangements from Katherine, who understandably was in great demand during the regatta, so I was beginning to think it wasn't meant to be. Then right at the end of the afternoon I spotted Katherine watching the prize giving presentations, and it was one of those moments which you just have to go for, so I went and introduced myself to her. Those who know me, will know that this is the least typical behaviour you would normally expect from me. Katherine couldn't have been nicer and we had a nice chat taking the photo of her by the river, which you can see in the book. She also posed for a photo with the Beating Bowel Cancer tie.



Just before the book was published in November, Katherine sent me a video message with a message for the book. It was an idea I'd had to get some of the people in the book to record a short video to help with the promotion. Once again Katherine was a great sport.

The book has now passed the £1350 mark in funds raised for Beating Bowel Cancer. To see how you can buy the Lives & Times fundraising book click here. My mother, the reason for my fundraising efforts, has been in hospital for the last three weeks. The cancer has spread to her and a recent seizure has left her paralysed down her right side. It is likely that she will be in hospital for some time. In the last few days some movement has returned, which is a great boost as good news has been in short supply in recent months. Hopefully she will soon begin a course of chemotherapy.

The countdown to Rio 2016 is on. Katherine has not enjoyed the smoothest of builds up, but it was recently confirmed that she and Vicky Thornley will compete in the double skulls. I wish Katherine and team GB every success.




No comments:

Post a Comment