Wednesday, 22 June 2016

Lives & Times Meets David Fenton From The Vapors


Just over a year ago I went up to London to meet David Fenton, the one time lead vocalist in The Vapors. They are best remembered for their worldwide smash hit single Turning Japanese. I decided to try and track David down for the book after I had spoken with Mike Read about Jimmie Jones, which was a minor hit for the band. He now works as the in house lawyer for the Musician's Union, and so I took a chance and sent an email to their press office. Within an hour David had replied in person, and 48 hours later we met up outside Westminster tube station. David was extremely helpful and happy to let me choose the location. There could only be one place for me to take the photo, and that was with Big Ben in the background. The Vapors best single in my opinion was News At Ten, and the picture sleeve of the single was the classic ITV image of Big Ben striking 10 o'clock for their news programme. I will regularly have The Vapors playing on my iPod, and the other stand out song, for me, by the band is Letter From Hiro, which is just magnificent.

We were able to chat about not just the band and some of the difficulties they had the time with record companies, but life after the band finished and his life now working at the Musician's Union and the problems the bands of today face. All in all it was a fascinating experience, and a great chapter to get for the book.

David recently sent me a photo of himself with his copy of the book. When we met David's brother was beginning treatment for lung cancer, but sadly by the time I published the book he had passed away. Another example of just how awful cancer is. My mother's bowel cancer journey has taken a turn for the worse. After her recent lung surgery she is now in hospital after her condition worsened with the brain cancer. She spent 6 weeks in hospital after a seizure and her condition is now terminal and she has just moved to a nursing home where she can receive 24/7 care. 

Lives & Times has now raised over £2100 for the Beating Bowel Cancer charity. To see how you can order the book, which is available as an eBook, paperback and hardback, click here.



No comments:

Post a Comment